Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pine Bros Softish Throat Drops Review

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.
My whole family is prone to seasonal allergies, so of course, that means itchy, watery eyes, runny nose and the dreaded itchy throat sometimes accompanied by a cough. I can deal with a lot of things and my allergies aren't that bad, but the itchy throat and cough drive me insane. There is nothing like trying to get a good nights rest and keep getting woken up by an annoying cough.

I have tried many throat drops and cough drops and they all provide some relief one way or another but not really long lasting and most taste extremely horrible. There is nothing worse than having to sit there and suck on a cough drop that that leaves a nasty taste in your mouth. You know what I'm talking about! The after taste of just swallowing cough medicine. Yuck!

I recently had the opportunity to review Pine Bros. Softish Throat Drops. I had never seen or heard anything about this company before so I was really excited to get the chance to work with them and review their throat drops.


For those of you like me that have no idea what Pine Bros. Softish Throat Drops are, here is a little background information about the company.

Ulysses S. Grant was President, the population of America hovered at 39 million, and the telephone was still a pipe dream, when in 1870 J. Herman Pine hung out a confectionery shingle on 8th Street above Walnut in Philadelphia and, along with his brother, sold their first batch of what they called 'Pine Brothers Glycerine Tablets.' In an attempt to relieve his own sore throat and those of his family members, Mr. Pine, a former German confectionery maker, determined that by combining the soothing natural qualities of glycerin with the healing properties of gum acacia, he could sooth and mitigate the mild discomfort of a sore throat. Add in some natural flavoring and a sweetener and voila, Pine Brothers Softish Throat Drops were born. "I have discovered something," Pine wrote, "which will give quick throat relief to thousands afflicted as I was." He added,"Perhaps I won't make much money out of this. But I can make people happy, and that's more important than money." Mr. Pine was being unduly modest, as his "discovery" would become one of the most successful, most delicious and most unique throat lozenges in the world. Nor has the recipe changed appreciably since it was first introduced to the public over 140 years ago.

In 1930 Pine Brothers was sold to the Life Savers Company and continued to flourish. Known for its 'soft drop consistency,' Pine Brothers lozenges became a favorite of adults and children alike. The product, which attracted healthiest sales in the eastern and northern states, due to its icy winters, reached its peak popularity in the 1970's. The company was sold by Life Savers, and then, having been re-sold and acquired a number of times, found itself essentially rudderless and under appreciated; this despite a legion of loyal consumers. Cost cutting changes were made to the original recipes, packaging became stale and marketing non-existent; Pine Brothers began to be made overseas. Sales declined.


Recently, Pine Brothers was acquired by the creator and former owner of Airborne, Victoria Knight-McDowell, for her new company 3 Sisters Home Products™. Much time and effort has been spent locating the original Pine Brothers recipes, redesigning the packaging, and creating an exciting yet classic new look. The natural product is once again being made in America, and is launching nationally in fall 2011. At which time old Mr. Pine, will succeed once again in "making people happy." God bless him!

Pine Bros. Softish Throat Drops come in three flavors:

Natural Honey
Wild Cherry
Black Licorice

I had the opportunity to review Natural Honey and Wild Cherry in the form of 2 Natural Honey value size bags (32 throat drops), 2 Wild Cherry value size bags (32 throat drops), 2 Natural Honey containers (26 throat drops) and 2 Wild Cherry Containers (26 throat drops). 


My first thought was they would be similar to any other throat drop I had tried in the past, but I was wrong. Just like the description says, they are a "softish" throat drop which can be compared to almost gummy like but so much better. 

The taste was amazing! I actually thought I was eating fresh honey with the Natural Honey flavor. While it's strong in flavor, which doesn't bother me as I love honey, it definitely helps so much. Anytime I feel an itchy throat coming on, I just pop in a Pine Bros. Softish Throat Drop and it soothes my throat right away. i actually get a good nights sleep now because i don't have to worry about my annoying cough interrupting it. 

The Wild Cherry flavor is much milder than the Natural Honey but just as effective, though being someone that loves honey, the Natural Honey is my favorite flavor while the rest of my family prefers the Wild Cherry. I keep a bog in my computer desk drawer and another bag in my night stand drawer so I always have them available. 



I love the little containers too. They hold the exact same throat drops as the bag but in a much more convenient carrying container. I keep one in my purse at all times and also have one in my travel bag too just in case. 

Out of all of the throat drops and cough drops I have ever tried, Pine Bros. Softish Throat Drops are my absolute favorite. Not only do they do the job for an itchy throat or a bothersome cough, but the flavors are amazing. I no longer have to worry about the dreaded medicine aftertaste. 

I'm excited to because Pine Bros. Softish Throat Drops has announced that they will be introducing the Lemon-Citrus flavor sometime in 2015-2016! I can't wait to try them :)

Pine Bros. Website ~HERE~

Pine Bros. on Facebook ~HERE~

Pine Bros. on Twitter ~HERE~



I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

 Disclosure: I received one or more products mentioned above for review purpose. No other form of compensation was received. my opinions are my own. Your opinion may very from mine. If a giveaway is being held, please read my rules of sweepstakes in the tab above. I cannot be held responsible for prizes or shipping. Sweepstakes and Giveaways om this blog are not affiliated with Facebook or any other social media network. Thank You and Enjoy! Chris and Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment